“How you doin”? Have you been heard this a lot from one of the most famous quotes from the American TV series “Friends” Joey’s signature catchphrase? Most of my friends from the state have at least begun the conversation with this once. Surprisingly, more students choose to learn American accents instead of British English. Many are obsessed with the ‘R’ sounds and the attractive, charming way Americans speak. If you consume more American TV shows, entertainment shows, movies, and the country itself, you should learn the American accent instead of the British accent. I will share some fun, practical ways that you can learn American English online and be able to speak like a native!
Table of contents
- Six fun ways to pick up American English
- Fun teaching section
- Great platforms to learn American English
Common ways to learn American English online
- Watch American shows and drama- It is always the fastest way to learn a new language. Especially for American TV series and shows, they often use modern daily life vocabulary and slang. It can help you understand the language and get to know the culture and how to use each phrase in different scenarios.
Below are the top 3 series I recommended to learn English:
2. Make more American friends- I understand that it is difficult to make new native friends when at the stage where you can’t speak the language properly yet. However, it is always helpful to bring up some common or hot topics in the trend now. I believe this can beat the language barrier. On the other hand, always check the internet for a free meetup or community group. I am sure that many Americans want to learn other foreign languages too, maybe you can be the one to exchange! (Or find an American boy/girlfriend? )
3. Always find the right teacher! What I mean by this is that there are many teachers out there teaching English. However, you need to find the right one for you. First, you need to check if the teacher speaks proper American English, whether from the United States or not. Even if the teacher is from the state, you need to make sure they understand the culture and which province they stay in for most of their lives.
4. Read local news and American novels- Reading local news is always the best way to understand the breaking news in the city, what are the buzzwords people are hitting on now. Although the report is more brutal to read sometimes, I believe it will help your reading skill grow real fast. Reading any novels you like in English can help you gain more vocabulary and native terms. Make a habit of always having a book or newspaper with you.
5. Listen to American music and radio- American pop is the mainstream for sure. All the famous artists you can think of are most likely from the State. Explore the lyrics and try to sing with them. Surprisingly, you will be able to pick up the accent quickly. Radio channels are also an option. Find your favorite station and test yourself every day by how much you can understand. To set a goal at the beginning and understand 70% of the contents in 3 months.
6. Watch live sports games- American football, baseball, basketball, and ice hockey. Americans are good at sports, try to go to any local competitions, and be friends with the locals. You can practice listening by hearing the reports live and understanding how to do the native talks in daily life.
Teaching section, to learn American English online
My favorite 10 American slangs:
- Around the clock: 24/7 non-stop
- All ears: I give all my time to someone and listening to someone
- ASAP: As soon as possible. We all know what that is eh?
- Chill: to relax
- Give the cold shoulder: ignoring someone
- Hold your horses: give a minute.
- My bad: my mistake
- Once in a blue moon: unusual
- Spill the beans: to tell or reveal a secret
- See ya : saying goodbye to someone
American English is about the ‘R’ sound, I am sharing this video which has a better explanation.
Top 10 words Americans use daily:
- To have a blast
American English vs British English
|American English||British English|
|Baked potato||Jacket Potato|
Platforms to learn English online
AmazingTalker is an online teacher marketplace from Taiwan offering a variety of language specialisms to students globally of all ages. In addition, you can choose from selected certificated native American English teachers or with choices of who can speak your mother tongue as well. We offer personalized one-on-one online tutoring to help you master English more quickly and know your needs more clearly. Trial classes start from 10 dollars, flexible schedules with no joining fee. It’s a great way to start your English learning more systematically with a low budget. You can choose from conversational American English class, business class, or test preparation. There are many options you can personalize to your preferred method of learning.
The platform hosts over 15,000 teachers in 130+ different languages and focuses on human connection through mainly private video lessons. Italki is very similar to AmazingTalker. You can choose a list of American teachers from native to non-native with different years of experience. Starting from 10 USD per hour, prices also changed depending on the tutors. Italki’s design is rarely surpassed and its site ensures a comfortable user experience. Very simple to use and navigate as well as being informational. Interesting community feature. Large amounts of tutors allow for more options when looking for a teacher, Prices are competitive and tutors are well-shown. However, it has fewer lesson methods.
Preply is a reliable company similar to AmazingTalker and Italki. Private one-on-one tutor online with selected certificated and non-certificated teachers. The system is pretty similar to other tutor sites online. The only difference is Preply is slightly more expensive than others. However, Preply is one of the most famous language learning platforms nowadays. I believe there must be a reason for the popularity. Preply shines in information but the amount of information can sometimes overwhelm you when looking for instructors. Their user interface is easily usable and their pricing is straight to the point. Preply is transparent with their tutors. which makes it easier for potential students to choose.
Learning English is fun, and making it a savor is even more fun. Finding the right teacher, watching fun dramas and shows, and listening to good music/radios can make learning enjoyable. You will also make your study faster; I hope the above information has helped you and wish you the best of luck in your research.