How to learn English has become the most-asked questions for most people. English is the most popular and standard language in the world, so why shouldn’t you be able to learn it as well? With the internet having so many sources of information (videos, podcasts, online classes, e-books, webinars, and more) freely available, there is no better time to learn English – even from the comfort of your own home and on your own time!
Learning English is all about the 4 aspects: Listening, Reading, Speaking and Writing. This article will explain the top 5 tips you must know to learn English. No matter how long it’s going to take, these tips will always be useful. So let’s get your English ready for that international job or to enjoy that awesome Hollywood movie you’ve been wanting to watch!
Tip 1: Use Language Learning Apps
Current technology gives us so many tools to help us learn and maintain our English and other language skills. They can help us train daily, identify and correct our mistakes in our conversations and work, and also help us stay on track with our English studies. There are many kinds of language software to help us with our different English needs, click the headings to go to their websites to learn more, for example Google Translate offers you an instant translation service. Grammarly offers you a complete grammar check for your English essays.
Tip 2: Immerse Yourself in English Media
Learning English should be fun and exciting. What better way to learn than to read interesting books, posts, and blogs; watch a fun movie, series, and Youtube videos; and listen to your favorite singers, podcasts, and radio stations? For example, you can go on to YouTube to discover many English-learning channels with many themes and topics. Social media is always a good resources where you can find many different interesting posts or videos about learning English. As for podcast, the English as a Second Language (ESL) Podcast is a popular and widely used podcast that helps over 15 million students in over 189 countries worldwide to learn English.
Tip 3: Learn with a Friend or Group
Having a friend or speaking partner to help practice your speaking skills within conversations can help you greatly. People often say that speaking English regularly can help it stick in your head much better than reading or writing. Besides, one of the main points of learning English is to communicate, so it’s good to practice with people often and better with your study groups and friends!
Tip 4: Keep a Diary or Get a Penpal
This is a classic way to help remember and learn the new vocabulary and phrases you have learned from a conversation, a post, or even a movie. Keeping track of these can help you build a library of English to regularly learn from.
You could buy a regular diary or journal to write in, or you could use a mobile app so that you can jot down important words and expressions on the go. It is important to make a habit of doing this, so try to write down at least 3 to 5 words and/or expressions every day. Moreover, getting a penpal is also a good way to practice writing. You can learn how to address a letter and proper greetings. It would be useful when you’r taking your English skill to the next level.
Tip 5: Take an Online class
Millions of students are joining the virtual classroom every day. There are hundreds of online English classes and teachers that offer many engaging and helpful lessons and activities to help you improve your English and of course, your speaking skill.
AmazingTalker offers flexible and professional 1 on 1 lesson plans and accommodates your learning needs. Check out their website to see what lesson plans, rates, and tutors suit your needs to make sure you get the most out of this opportunity.
Give it a read to more extensive and detailed list of 10 other online English courses here.
AmazingTalker APP is available on:
How to Learn English with 4 Fundamental Skills
There are 4 major skills that are important to learn for you to be good at understanding and communicating in English. These are: Listening, Speaking, Reading, and Writing. If you are good at only one of these skills, you will not be able to use English properly. This is why it is important to study all skills equally. When you communicate with someone, the person you are communicating with uses one of the opposite skills (example: if you speak, they listen). Therefore, in order to understand each other, we must be skillful in all 4 skills.
To further excel and improve your business English, check out these Business English courses here.
How to Learn English Listening
Textbooks can help teach you about grammar and vocabulary, but when you are having a conversation, they might help you as much. If you want to learn to speak in English, it’s better to start by listening first. You will be able to learn useful vocabulary and grammar by listening more without even having to memorize them.
Top Tips to Improve your Listening Skills
- Listen to the radio or a podcast Listening to radio stations or podcasts are a great way to pick up on English dialect, common expressions and tones.
- Watch English Television Programs Children’s shows on English TV are actually very useful for English learners. These shows can also have subtitles to help you learn more accurately about what you are listening to.
Check out this Channel’s video on YouTube that helps you find the best series for learning English
- Call Automated Answering Machine recordings: This can help you learn the correct pronunciation and formal English without confusion from different people. These numbers can be found at the front of telephone books in many English-speaking countries. But before you call them, make sure that you are calling the free numbers.
- Use listening resources from the Internet: You can use many online sources to learn how to listen to English better.
How to Learn English Speaking
Learning to speak better English is important, and helps you focus on your pronunciation, tone, and dialect. Speech is one of the main ways of communicating daily, so this is a skill that must be developed to help you become fluent in English.
Top Tips to Improve your Speaking Skills
- Find a Speaking Partner to practice with: There are many ways to find partners and people to practice speaking with. Social media, study groups, and friends are one of the few ways you can regularly practice your speaking skills and also to learn your pronunciation better. Finding native speakers to help you will help you refine your skills even more professionally over time.
- Talk to yourself: Talk to yourself in the mirror at home, record yourself speaking, or simply talk out aloud while learning. You might be uncomfortable hearing your own voice in English at first, but you will get used to it over time. This is the best way to practice, gain confidence in your speech and pronunciation without fear of mistakes and confusing others.
- Practice Tongue Twisters: Tongue twisters are a great way to help you practice your pronunciation and get confident in speaking English. It can also help you figure out which sounds and letters you struggle with so that you can focus on improving them.
How to Learn English Reading
Reading is a fundamental process in learning any subject, including English. This is why it is so important to develop this skill. Books are the most classic and obvious way to start learning this skill because it both teaches you the language and help you understand how to use it correctly with punctuation, grammar, and sentence construction. There are also blogs, posts, and articles that can help you improve your reading skills.
Top Tips to Improve your Reading Skills
- Always keep a Dictionary Keeping a Dictionary ensures you are always prepared to learn a new word and that you are never left confused during reading. You can have a hard copy dictionary or an online one to help you learn vocabulary.
- Read at an appropriate level It is important to make sure that you start reading at a level that is appropriate for you. Reading more difficult books at first can make it harder and more intimidating to learn English and may push you away from wanting to continue. You should start reading at a decent level so that you have the opportunity to learn and stay motivated as you read.
- Read things that interest you If you are enjoying what you are reading, half the battle is already won. Reading enjoyable books, comic books, and even social media posts can greatly help you learn more efficiently as you are more engaged with the material and are more motivated to keep learning as you go.
How to Learn English Writing
For many English learners, writing is the first time they actually try to produce language, rather than receive the language. So it is also an important skill to learn.
Top Tips to Improve your Writing Skills
- Practice writing in a Journal or Diary Writing in a book every day can drastically improve your ability to be fluent in English. This also helps you be creative and learn more interesting words and expressions that you can use in your daily life and work. You can even use a mobile app to write on the go.
- Learning Spelling Rules Learning and remembering spelling rules are a fundamental part of improving your writing skills and becoming fluent in English. It makes sure you don’t fall into any common mistakes or confusion that are sometimes found in English. This will help you become more confident and professional in your English writing skills.
- Get an English Pen-pal Pen-pals are a great way to regularly practice your writing with someone while learning how to write practically and for everyday conversations. It helps you become more comfortable with writing and communicating in English, also it would be a good chance to practice writing letters in English. With technology growing so fast, you don’t need to write letters and mail them anymore, the internet has made it much easier to find Pen-pals online.
How to Learn English Faster: Practice, Practice, Practice
After reading so many tips about how to learn English, you must have a clue about your learning plan. No matte it is finding a penpal, joining a group or start grabbing your pen to write down your first diary in English, we have just one more tip for you: just practice. Keep practicing is the key for you to be fluent in English. Also, having some help on the way can make your journey a little bit easy and with more fun. AmazingTalker offers personal English tutors from around the world. You can have your own English lesson anytime, anywhere you want. Check out AmazingTalker to start your English-learning journey at ease!